Over the past fifteen years the idea of precarity has emerged as a key area of social conflict and political organizing. But what is precarity, and what does a focus on it mean for political organizing and social movements? Come join us for an evening of discussion with members of the San Precario network on the politics of precarious labor and what they could mean for US based movements and campaigns.
The San Precario network is an Italian group of activists, collectives, social centers and workers that is one of the main organizers of the Milan EuroMayDay Parade. We will be presenting materials from our campaigns and work.
Born in 2001, the Italian MayDay has become the most attended First of May demonstration in Europe: 120.000 people took the streets of Milan and danced until dawn in 2010 under the slogan “Precarious of the world, let’s fight!” Since 2004 San Precario is the patron saint of precarious European workers. The San Precario network is devoted to defend the workers rights, but we also strive to imagine a new set of rights, a new welfare that matches the needs and lives of this precarious generation. Born within the Italian social centers movement, our collective provides legal support, tactical help and social-media skills, as well as brand subverting and political blabbing.
Our more recent campaigns are: Cash & Crash, a series of actions against evil companies’ wallets and brands; Welfare for Life! A campaign to guarantee fix income and free access to services; the Etats-General of Precarity, a general assembly of Italian and European movements which will be held in October; and of course, the EuroMayDay Parade.
Check out the dates!
* Friday Oct 1: Vancouver, BC – 7 pm @ 1202 East Pender
* Saturday Oct 2: Vancouver, BC – 6 pm @ Purple Thistle, #260-975 Vernon Street
* Wednesday Oct 6: Portland, OR – 7 pm @ Red and Black Cafe, 400 SE 12th Avenue
* Thursday Oct 7: Eugene, OR @ Bad Egg Books Infoshop, 112 E. 13th Avenue
* Saturday Oct 9: San Francisco, CA – 7 pm @ Station 40, 3030B 16th St (across from the 16th & Mission BART)
* Sunday Dec 5: EAST COAST! New York City, NY – 7 pm @ 16beaver, 16 Beaver street 4th floor
* Wednesday Dec 8: Claremont, CA – 7 pm @ Pitzer College
* Thursday Dec 9: Los Angeles, CA – 7.30 pm @ Outpost for Contemporary Art, 1268 N. Ave 50, 90042 LA
Follow us on Twitter